Try working on the following if you haven’t already. It has worked wonders for my city.
Tips and Tricks
- Transfer as much car traffic as possible towards train and subway stations.
- Create overpass/underpass pedestrian paths to clear up intersection crosswalks.
- Connect subway stations from different lines together using underground pedestrian pathways (-6.25m).
- Plop “parking islands” with dedicated entrances/exits across your city. Make sure cims have access to public transport from there.
- Make sure your bus stations can only be accessed by busses using dedicated routes. Do not plot them on a main street.
- Rework your highway network routes to prioritize truck traffic, which cannot use public transport.
- Send dedicated routes to ports and train stations to remove congestion from your main traffic network.
I’m running at 3-4sec/minute using these tips. Current pop is 1,095,300. I was hovering around 8-10 seconds/minute back at 700,000 pop before doing these changes.
I hope this helps and good luck with your city!